Before discussing monitoring tools in DevOps, let us understand some terms related to them. DevOps (Development and operations) is the merger of practices, tools, and cultural philosophies that increase an enterprise’s ability to deliver applications and services more frequently while improving quality and being cost-effective.
With evolving and enhancing products rapidly, DevOps allows enterprises to compete proficiently in the market.
Therefore, enterprises that perform traditional infrastructure management and software development methods are expected to be left behind in today’s competing market, as the modern software development lifecycle comprises several simultaneous stages of development and testing.
The advantages of DevOps include:
- Faster innovation.
- Market adoption.
- Business efficiency.
- Rapid delivery of releases.
- Methods like continuous integration, continuous delivery, and monitoring and logging ensure the reliability of deliverables.
- Automation and consistency help one develop, operate and manage processes at scale.
- It is a DevOps cultural model that allows effective team building.
- Retain control and preserve compliance by utilizing configuration management techniques, fine-grained rules, and automated compliance policies.
Top 10 Monitoring Tools in DevOps
- What is DevOps monitoring?
- Monitoring types in DevOps
- Top monitoring tools in DevOps
What is DevOps monitoring?
DevOps monitoring involves overseeing the complete development process from planning, development, integration and testing, deployment, and operations. Hence, this involves a complete and real-time view of the status of applications, services, and infrastructure in the production environment.
Specialties such as real-time streaming, historical replay, and visualizations are critical application and service monitoring elements.
Therefore, DevOps monitoring allows teams to respond to any degradation in the customer experience quickly and automatically. Furtherly, it will enable teams to “shift left” to earlier stages in development and minimize broken production changes.
Hence, an example is a more reliable instrumentation of software to detect and respond to errors, both manually through on-call and automatically whenever possible.
System performance monitoring
In system performance monitoring, DevOps experts thoroughly monitor all the aspects that can influence one’s system performance, such as CPU utilization, free memory (RAM), disk space used, network utilization, and more.
Hardware health monitoring
Succeeding on the list of monitoring types is hardware health monitoring. Accordingly, just like one’s brain relies on the body, hardware health is indispensable for one’s system’s work.
A critical mission for DevOps is monitoring the availability and performance of services (Mail, FTP, Database, and more). Therefore, they also monitor web server processes, web server states, and so on.
System security control and audit
In numerous cases, viruses or malware are the reason for poor performance or complete system failure. Thus, DevOps regularly checks files for malware and possible network attacks. Therefore, they use firewalls and application-level detectors (Fail2ban, Apache ModSecurity, and so on).
Third-party integration monitoring
In the era of third-party integration, it is crucial to outline API monitoring. Therefore, DevOps experts check API availability and performance, so one’s system can smoothly cooperate with third-party systems.
Sensu Go, a turnkey, end-to-end observability pipeline, permits one to collect, filter, and transform monitoring events and transfer them to a database of choice.
Therefore, the solution gives monitoring as code on any cloud, supports eliminates data silos, automates service delivery, lessens alert fatigue, and allows automation of diagnosis and self-healing, all from an individual observability control plane.
- It offers limitless integrations for monitoring. Therefore, one can integrate the platforms and tools that enterprise relies on, including AWS, Azure, Docker, OpenStack, Kubernetes, etc.
- Using Sensu Go’s high-performance enterprise data store, one can monitor thousands of nodes from a solitary cluster.
- It offers general health monitoring and collects basic system metrics, custom application metrics, and logs.
- Sensu Go is also available free of cost and is best suited to small-sized companies.
Gradle is a developer build tool that big companies use to build applications. Thus, developers can accelerate the development process with this tool. Also, with the help of Gradle, software development teams can architect, integrate and systemize the delivery of software solutions.
- Advanced caching.
- It compiles avoidance that reduces development time.
Librato is a real-time cloud monitoring solution that can trace and understand the metrics that influence businesses at all levels of the provided stack. Therefore, it also provides all the features expected from a monitoring solution to visualize, analyze, and receive alerts on the above-discussed metrics.
Hence, the tool gets metrics from almost any source to provide real-time data aggregation and also transformation. Therefore, Librato users can entirely rely on the Zapier platform, which offers webhooks for integrating with more than 400 applications and services. Hence, every method or a zap comprises a trigger and an action.
- Librato gives a complete solution that monitors and examines the data.
- It also provides a diverse number of services that can help understand the information that is getting monitored and, at the same time, also offers beautiful visualizations of the underlying data.
- Librato renders services that can notify upon completion of activity processing on the numerous metrics that one might be interested to know.
- It comes with almost no installation at all.
- Librato provides a straightforward user interface that is very easy to use.
Git (GitHub, GitLab and Bitbucket)
Git is an open-source, distributed version control and source code management (SCM) system that is simple to learn, has a small footprint, and gives lightning-fast performance and efficiency.
Therefore, with the help of the software, one can easily coordinate work among the DevOps team during source code development. Thus, the latest source release of Git is version 2.32.0. Hence, one can download the software for Windows, Linux/Unix, and macOS.
- Successful offerings of Git repositories as a service include GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket.
- Git’s branching model allows frictionless context switching, role-based code lines, feature-based workflow, and disposable experimentation.
- Git gives data assurance.
- GitHub (free) allows the distributed version control and SCM functionality of Git, along with wikis for every project, continuous integration, task management, feature requests, and bug tracking.
Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform
Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform provides a structure for scale building and operating information technology (IT) automation. With a visual dashboard, automation tools including certified, reusable content and analytics, and role-based access control, one can centralize and control enterprise infrastructure.
Therefore, the platform’s YAML automation language makes it feasible to assess, manage, and share automation content across an organization. Hence, with searchable collections of pre-composed modules and roles, one can easily create automation.
- The Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform helps make network management more consistent with standardized and unified IT automation.
- Red Hat Insights presents unified visibility across platforms. With Red Hat Insights, one can detect, examine and remediate potential software and configuration problems through automatic alerts.
- It also provides a reporting provision on the status of automation deployments across various clusters.
- One can quickly access and distribute collections of supported, pre-composed content for quick implementation.
When it comes to unifying distributed members of one’s DevOps team, there is no more reliable solution than a Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) platform. Therefore, Microsoft Teams is an UCaaS platform that enables organizations to meet virtually, chat, call, and collaborate.
Thus, it is the accessible version of Microsoft’s UCaaS offerings and holds additional Microsoft Office services and applications.
- One can set up ChatOps with messaging extensions. Also, it can integrate all the components in the DevOps toolchain.
- Via integrating DevOps tools, these applications will publish content directly into team conversations/individual chats, enabling faster resolution of issues, ease of collaboration, quicker update sharing, and better knowledge dissemination.
- Microsoft Teams is free of cost. Also, Microsoft 365 business standard is ideal for small- and mid-sized organizations and is available for $12.50 per month/per user (annual commitment).
- Microsoft Office 365 E3 is best suited to large-scale enterprises and is available for $20 per month/per user (annual commitment).
A Phantom is a tool that comes as a great help to developers who wish to build a secure infrastructure from the very beginning of SDLC. Therefore, one can collaborate in a centralized environment on an incident and simultaneously be aware of the rising security threats.
Thus, the tool future gives DevOps professionals an option to mitigate such risks using file detonation, device quarantine, etc.
Puppet uses declarative language and allows developers to intervene with how they can achieve a particular state. DevOps and IT teams ideal design configurations and lay them out within constraints.
- It reduces the amount of control one has, often leading to a more straightforward structure.
It is the most straightforward DevOps tool and has a unique environment of modules and additional items. Therefore, it is an open-source self-contained automation server with hundreds of plugins.
- It is to assemble code, make docker compartments, do massive tests, and push to staging/production.
This DevOps tool can assist find bugs and identify performance issues through real-time monitoring. Raygun provides a detailed analysis of the problems.
Therefore, developers get to know who is practicing the application and the specific problem they are facing. Apart from recognizing issues, it also highlights things to develop and enhance.
One can choose the best DevOps tool depending on the individual or enterprise requirements. Also, one can utilize one or more DevOps monitoring tools, so strictly evaluate each tool in detail and add one or more of them to the DevOps toolchain.
WHAT IS DEVOPS? THE ROADMAP FOR DEVOPS
KUBERNETES VS. DOCKER VS. JENKINS: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE THREE