Device management functions are nothing but managing any physical or virtual device’s operation, implementation, and maintenance. The device management process includes various tools and techniques for maintaining the network, computing, physical or virtual machines. For example, laptops, computers, servers, mobile phones, etc., are usually considered for device management. In this article, we will study 4 main functions of device management.
Device management is managing any physical or virtual device to perform as expected. It is done in many ways, like using a bundle operating system, workflow software, or other hardware products. The device management process includes installing drivers and software needed for the particular device. Device management helps businesses to maintain the excellent health of their devices or IT assets and implement security features. Devices can be virtual, for instant virtual switches and virtual machines.
As we know, device management is also responsible for managing computer systems with their hardware and management of storage devices. It can also control the input and output devices of the computer system. Most importantly, device management is an essential function of any operating system. However, device management has a role in managing and updating applications and operating systems.
Device management performs various tasks like managing the operation of devices and implementing and maintaining those devices. Therefore, it is beneficial for a business who are working in IT infrastructure as it supports all the hardware used in the computer system
Device management performs the following tasks:
- Device management helps to install related drivers and switches.
- It helps to implement security measures.
- Device configuration is made easy with device management as it helps IT hardware work well.
- Devices can be physical as well virtual, like virtual machines and switches.
Device management has an essential feature in the operating system. Below mentioned are some key features of device management:
- Firstly, the device drivers help the Operating system to interact with the device controller. At the same time, they execute multiple processes on a computer system.
- Secondly, device drivers work like system software programs that help to execute the process.
- Thirdly, the critical feature of devices management is to implement the API.
- Device drivers are the same as software programs, which helps OS manage multiple devices.
- Lastly, the device controller for three registers in device management operations, i.e., command, status, and data.
The device management functions start with installing devices and device drivers and software. Another vital part is configuring a device to perform well to meet business expectations. It helps to implement the security measure and process.
There are four main functions of device management that are:
- Monitoring the status of each device
- Enforcing present policies to determine which process will get a machine and how long.
- Allocating the devices
- in addition, deallocating them at the process level the job level.
There is another crucial function of devices management in the operating system. It helps to monitor storage devices like storage drivers and multiple peripheral devices. Device management enforces the present policies. It takes the decision on which approach is best for the hardware.
Device management in mobile computing is another essential function of device management. The mobile device management system provides a plan that helps multiple devices to manage with a varying operating system like Windows, Android, iOS, etc.
Mobile devices management, i.e., MDM, helps businesses overcome complex issues such as the ability to deliver a company-specific application. With MDM, these complex issues will solve on employee devices.
Device management plays an essential role in Operating System. It helps control the input and output devices such as microphones, disk, magnetic disk, printer, etc. The device management process may require resources like main memory, access to a disk drive, file access, etc. The computer system has multiple devices, i.e., physical or virtual, and handling the operating system requires a separate program. The program is nothing but a device controller.
The drivers are an essential part of the operating system as they help communicate with the devices. There are multiple functions of device management in OS. Some of them are as follow:
- Device management keeps track of data, status, and location.
- In computing, the file system defines a group of facilities.
- Device management in OS enforces pre-determined policies. It pre-planned the process that receives the device and also set the specific time limit for the same.
- It helps to improve the performance of devices.
- Device management helps businesses monitor every device’s status, including printers, storage drivers, and other devices.
- Above all, it allocates and effectively deallocates the device.
Operating System (OS) has three types of peripheral devices, i. e., Dedicated, Shared, and Virtual.
Dedicated devices are devices of device management that allocate a single task at a time. Plotters, tape drivers, and other devices need such allocation as it is inconvenient to share with multiple users simultaneously. The main disadvantage of such a device is that it is less efficient than others as the device can use one user for the whole duration of the task.
As the name suggests, shared devices can assign for multiple processes. Moreover, the device manager needs to handle the process and policies carefully.
The virtual device is a combination of dedicated and shared devices. Virtual devices are dedicated devices that are transformed into a shared ones. We can take the example of a printer as we can not directly send a print job to the printer. It is routed to the disk until the whole process of formatting and sequencing is prepared. Further, the printer works as a shareable device by using a particular spooling program. On the other hand, spooling program helps the printer to redirect all the requests to the disk.
In conclusion, many organizations use device management to manage their administered devices and applications. In the modern IT environment, multiple devices motivate mobile device management solutions. MDM allows businesses to manage IT devices and users with the smooth execution of work. Corporate functionality and device security are the main functions of the device management process.